Essential Information Regarding Smoke Damaged Electronics
Any electrical fire has the potential to cause a severe office disruption. Besides structural damage requiring the services of a commercial fire restoration provider, electronic equipment needs to be cleaned before it can once again be used. Here are some things you should know regarding how to handle digital equipment impacted by smoke’s impact.
Types of Smoke Damage To Electronics
Electronic equipment suffers from smoke in three ways:
- When smoke gets inside, it can leave a black film that acts as insulation. Over time, this buildup can trigger overheating.
- Smoke also has the ability to create a magnetic charge. The resulting shocks can cause serious malfunctions.
- Soot generated by an electrical fire is highly acidic. The inevitable corrosion shortens the lifespan of office machinery.
Never operate computers, printers, or other devices reliant upon electricity that have been exposed to smoke until proper cleaning has been administered.
Tips for Dealing With Smoke Damage To Electronics
Prepare for a computer cleanup in La Verkin, UT, by shutting down and unplugging every terminal. This preventive measure can help prevent short circuits from causing permanent damage. Next, remove your system’s memory storage. Moving data away from your mainframe means cleaning can take place without the risk of further data loss. Hard drives can typically be accessed via another computer.
Apply protective masking paper to laser printers as a method of minimizing damage caused by smoke. Removing this material is far easier than engaging in a detailed scrubbing. Denatured alcohol should be used to excise any residue that gets inside.
Besides computers and printers, smoke damage can negatively impact tablets, telephones, and more. Employ a cleaning professional to thoroughly rehabilitate your office’s electronics. This decision can save both time and money.
Even the best-maintained buildings remain susceptible to an electrical fire. When one happens, anything that uses electricity may be compromised. Do everything within your power to begin the sanitization process and then hire a specialist to complete the job.